2009年7月13日

"The Stoning of Soraya M."




Description:
"The Stoning of Soraya M" tells the story of what happened to Soraya a kind, spirited woman whose bad marriage leads her cruel, divorce-seeking husband to conspire against her, trumping up charges of infidelity, which carry an unimaginable penalty. Moving through a minefield of scheming, lies and deceit, Soraya and Zahra will attempt to prove Soraya's innocence in a legal system stacked against her. But when all else fails, Zahra will risk everything to use the sole weapon she has left - the fearless, passionate voice that can share Soraya's story with a shocked world.


When my friend invited me to see this film, I was not sure if I wanted to go. I read the reviews and it describes that maybe the director overdid the stoning scene. I knew myself that I couldn't bear watching anyone being stoned (just imagining it makes me sick...sad), so I debated whether or not to go. After all, I went because I also knew this was a very significant film. And I hope everyone feels the same way as I do. What happened in Iran in 1986 is so wrong, indescribable, unbearable. It should have never happened and it should not happen again ever. Everyone should acknowledge that.
The villagers who stoned really thought that they followed their god, their religion. But what kind of god will allow to execute anyone by stoning? They must know it is not a true god then...
The performance of the actress, Shohreh Aghdashloo, plays "Zahra", who is the center of morality in this film, is really superbclover

2 コメント:

Tamakichi さんのコメント...

Thank you for introducing this film, Lothlorien. I am not sure if I can handle seeing anyone being stoned either, but I feel that I need to see this film since it's based on true story. Some movies (like war movies), I choose to watch them sololy because I feel I need to, not really I look forward to, see the truth (or representation of the truth, at least). This movie seems to be that sort of movies. I already know I would be sickened and frightened at cruel scenes but I fear being blinded to what's going on in the world more.

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

You are the same as me! I was not excited to see this film, but I understood the importance of the subject... During the stoning scenes, I was not really watching the screen though... I could hear the sound of it and I was looking down :) Anyhow, this is still going on other places too. Women do not have the same rights like men in certain places. How awful... I hope many people will realize what is going on in this world still and this will be improved somehow...