2008年11月10日

Going Dutch

I just found the definition of "Going Dutch"mrgreen

Going Dutch is a slang term that means that each person eating at a restaurant or paying admission for entertainment pays for himself or herself, rather than one person paying for everyone.

Interesting term.. I've never heard of that in my 10+ yrs stay in the State. Traditionally, a man is supposed to pick up a girl and pays for a dinner on a date. But I personally thinks that's nonsense. That's too old-fashioned!!

I just went on a date this weekend, I picked him up and we did "going Dutch". And when I told that to my co-workers, some were surprised by the fact that I picked him up. What's wrong with it? Men don't need to pick me up all the time; men don't need to pay for a dinner all the time. Although, I do let him pay if he insists. My male friends taught me thatsmile A lot of men have such a pride that he feels "cheap" if he did not pay. I have experienced that before. I went on a date and I paid for both of us because I asked him out (sort of). Well, it did not turn out well. I guess this guy had that pride. So it really depends on the guy sometimes...

While there are some men who feels the necessity of paying for a date, there are opposite cases as well. One of my co-workers was complaining about his GF who expects him to pay EVERY TIMEuun He tries his best, though he is short of money because he has to pay for a child support and his schooling... it's getting a burden to pay for every date for him. Poor him... So, I'd like to say to those women who expect men to pay every time. Don't be greedy! Pay for yourself once in a while! Or even, pay for both if you are making a good money (when men don't have any problem with his pride). Men are not a money making machine! We need men not because we need to be fed, we want men because we need to be lovedanimated_heart

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

One of my best friend is a dutch girl so I new this term early on, and we teased her with this term alot, lol.

I hate the phase of finding out what's appropriate for me and my date in regards to payment. For me, it deprives the fun time to think about money on the back of our mind, lol, in doing things. I feel this paying rule should be established for each relationship depending on the situation but the figuing out what feels comfortable for me and him part is rather uncomfortable for me, lol. Great that you and your date are both comfortable going Dutch and taking turn driving :)

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

Tamakichi, it's really tricky to figure it out what's appropriate. Each time is different. I understand that you'd feel uncomfortable while establishing the paying rule. I don't like it either. Though, I do have my own rule. No matter what, I pay on my own (going dutch). Because if I let him pay, then I'd feel pressured that I need to reciprocate something. I don't like to feel that! So beginning of dating is not a big problem for me, but then after started going out, I have to somehow figure out all. As for now, it's not a big problem between me and my BF :) (still going dutch!)