2008年11月20日

Greed

There is a new employee at my office; he is a Japanese man who is originally from Japan and lives in U.S. for many years. I happened to be at his interview. At then, he was selling himself pretty well with a bit of humbleness and we all had a good impression.clover Now he starts working with us and... the true self starts revealed...

In my eyes, this person seems "greedier" and "not so humble". Usually we do not see many Japanese who are like that. Japanese people are raised to be very humble and respectful.wise Telling what we want very bluntly is something we usually don't do. Being blunt is not a bad thing, but if the person is greedy, then that's a different story. I was stunned to hear how this new employee was expressing what he wanted on a very first day. Things like:

*Personal bookcase -> this is not a big deal
*Cell phone -> Unless he would be in a situation that he might expect a business calls 24/7, he won't get it. And he may not be in that situation ever...
*Business trip to Japan -> This could happen in future, but not anytime soon!!
*Direct hire -> He'd better show a good performance in the first 6 months while contracting. Without it, we won't hire him in!

Maybe I'm too Japanese. Honestly I did not like how he was. He could mention those things after a while, not on a very first day! It's annoying me... Maybe this is not a big deal in this country. I thought I was americanized very much, but this is something that I am not able to change... I am humble and respectful. I do express my wants and desires but I'll never lose my humbleness... star

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I don't think he is typical Japanese nor properly americanized. Americans voice their opinions, but usually not like this...their thoughts are normally backed up by their actions. If not, I consider their claims to be not worth listening to. Your new employee went ahead and voiced his desire without proving anything first...Hope he is a real capable man just needing to learn how to speak properly???

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

I see. So he is not americanized. It was just "greed"!!! To me, it was so strange to hear what he expresses, without really showing what he's achieved yet! I hope too that he is a capable man.. still not sure yet...