2007年11月29日

Party Agenda

Is this normal? The agenda for the company's holiday party was sent out yesterday. There, not only what time a cocktail hour/dinner is, everything is scheduled. suspicious

For example, at 8:00, the president's speech, at 8:30, bingo games, at 9:00, trivia games, at 10:00, dancing...

This is ridiculous. eek It's a party, a small party, not a conference. Why do they need to set a time for everything? People want to relax & enjoy the conversation. By setting the schedule, it's like they are forcing everyone to participate in each activity... and I don't like it.

Is this a Japanese way? If so, then I'm so americanized that I don't get this any more... At least, this will be a funny story to tell to my friends mrgreen not only about the party schedule, but also the games. Who would want to play games at a formal dinner party?!

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Lothlorien, I do very bad with these types of parties too. I think this style suits Japanese people though(forgive me for speaking general and bit stereotypical here) many JN feels at ease with instructions(even when they are spending their past-time), you know... I've attended the party that are alot like what you've described and I felt extremely uncomfortable--like I had no choice but to do certain things at the timing I was told to do them. Almost like I needed to fake the "fun" I am supposed to be having at the same pace everyone else is having it. Everyone there seemed to be having a wonderful time, so I concluded this is considered natural here.

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

You are right. I guess this style suits japanese people! I never heard any complaint from japanese but americans... The reason why Japanese people feel at ease with this style is I guess because we grew up this way. So I never questioned while I was there. The style here is so different, so now I felt weird to have agenda at a party...
Like you said, I felt obligated to join to the activity when everything was fixed at certain time... and I hated it! But I don't think americans felt any pressure by this schedule. They knew how to say NO, so simply they just did not join the games!