2008年10月23日

Identity

Just right before I left Japan, I saw the TV program discussing about one's identity. That topic was brought up because of this year's Nobel prize in Physics. Only Japan reported that all three prizes were awarded to Japanese; but the fact was that Dr.Nambu, one of 3 winners, was used to be Japanese but now American. He obtained the American citizenship more than 40 yrs ago. Later, Japanese broadcast corrected as 2 Japanese winners and 1 American winner. And there was some disappointment among many Japanese citizenssad Why can't we call him "Japanese"? He was born/raised in Japan!

Because Japan does not allow a dual citizenship, technically he is "American" and not "Japanese" any longer. But if he was asked "what is his identity?", would he answer as "American" or "Japanese"? What is identity? Nationality? or Ethnic identity? or Something else?

I don't think there is any right answer for that. Each individual would give a different answer. How about my case? That question stuck in my mind and wonder what my identity is. As many people in the US, my parents' nationalities were not the same. My father is Japanese; my mother is now Japanese but was Korean who was born/raised in Japan. My nationality is Japanese and I always felt that way. But it's also true that I cannot change my background and I've had a question where I belong to.

Since I live in the States, I feel more and more that I am Japanese but at the same time, I see myself americanized in many ways. So now it's all mixed... In another word, I created my own identity.

To me, identity is not the nationality, not the ethnic identity either (I never consider myself as Korean). Probably it's closer to the cultural identity or social identity. My identity was carved in Japanese culture/society and was influenced by American culture and also by people that I met. My identity is definitely evolving over the time!razz There are so much to learn from different cultures; so much to take in, and I would like to keep taking them in as long as I livemrgreen

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I really enjoyed reading this post and learning how you feel about your identity and nationality. I was actually surprised to read that you never consider yourself as Korean. My guess was that you would consider yourself having little bit of Korean in you. Surprising how friends can still learn about each other no matter how long we've been friends for...let me say this once again...I am so glad you are blogging, Lothlorien!

Maybe bit off from your post, but I had hard time finding my identity too. I was exposed to and strongly influenced by the American culture when I was at the age of seeking my identity. What complicated the matter was...that I found myself feeling more comfortable with American customs and values in my late teens and I used to feel as if I was born in a wrong country. Even 100%Japanese me had alot to think about before I found my own identity (that people that I hold close become my society and that's what matters whichever the country I am in and whatever the nationality I am categorized in)...I wonder how hard it must've been for you to feel torn between all these countries, cultures, and images attached to them. Cheers to you that you've found your identity, Lothlorien!

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

Tamakichi, I guess I did not have any chance to tell you how I felt about my Korean background. I do not detest the fact, but I used to have an ill feeling about it. Maybe that is why I've never consider myself as Korean because I did not want to be (negative image in Japan, as you know...) Besides, since I lived and was raised in Japan and never been to Korea (still yet!), it was difficult to seek the Korean identity in me. Like I said, my identity was shaped by society/environment and people around me. Unfortunately I did not surround myself with my Korean relatives much...

I totally understand that you felt you were born in a wrong country. I felt a same way. I was not fitting in Japanese society either! And I think there are plenty of people like us. The luckiest thing for us is that we found what's fitting us. You felt more comfortable in US, so you know where to look for the comfort when necessary.

I am the same way as you. It does not matter which country I am in, but what important the most is the people around me. I am not "myself" without them, including you!!