2007年4月24日

Gun Control in America – Part 2

As I wrote yesterday, most likely America will not ban a gun ever. While I was saying that banning a gun is the only solution, my friend told me that that alone cannot prevent a school shooting.

My friend who took Criminology class in college shared her term paper with me. It was about the Columbine shooting. She did an extensive research about it.

What I learned from the paper was that the student (@ Columbine) got so desperate and he was so determined to revenge. He was teased and bullied by other kids at school and his anger was accumulated over the years. So even if there is no gun, he was very likely to get other weapons to kill bullies. Outcome would be less catastrophic, but still there will be a school massacre.

At the end, the solution to those school shootings is not to ban a gun or to restrict a gun.

Those rules will reduce the number of killing, but it won’t solve the core problem at all. The core problem is that there are bullies at school, certain students are picked on and a school cannot prevent that yet. A school does not have a proper system to help those students in need. Both of times, Columbine and Virginia Tech, those guys were showing signs everywhere. Two cases seem so similar. Didn't they learn anything from Columbine? If so, why did Virginia Tech shooting happen?

I believe that it will be a long way to fix the problem. It won't be easy, but they must change the system.

Easier to say than done, I know..
But it is true that something has to change quickly.
Nobody wants to see another tragedy ever..

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

When people say "gun doesn't kill people, people do." I don't agree with what they are saying. But with incidents like Columbine, I agree that banning guns by itself won't solve a problem.

What were surprising to me also was the legal aspects of gun control and how hard it is to ban guns. I guess I now see why many people feel they have to have guns at home to protect themselves.

Having said that, I still can't agree more to what you said in the end, Lothlorien. "I believe that it will be a long way to fix the problem. It won't be easy, but they must change the system."

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

"gun doesn't kill people, people do." is right. But isn't this just another excuse to keep a gun around?
The other day, I was talking with my friends that the environment is stronger than our will power unfortunately. We are human. We make mistakes. If we put ourselves in unfavorable environment, we are likely to be affected by it even we do not want it. Examples will be we are likely to smoke cigarettes if we hang out with smokers, we are likely to do drags if we keep friends who do drags. A lot of us have a strong determination and will power, or at least we would like to believe so, but we may fall at some points. It's better put ourselves away from those environment.
Unfortunately we are living in a country which love guns. We cannot get away from this. Since we cannot get away, we must change the environment.
Gun culture won't be gone, but the government or the state can regulate a gun much tighter than now...