2007年9月24日

Eradicate Gnats!

Since this spring, I found that there were lots of tiny bugs flying around my indoor plants. I thought,

"Hmmm, it must be this humidity"
"Maybe this summer is hotter than last year"

So I thought bugs will be gone by now (it's fall here already). No, I was wrong. I did some research and I found that they were called "fungus gnats". And they will be around as long as they got places to place their eggs (on wet soils) and some food (plants roots/leaves). They are harmless, but they are soooooo annoying!! (can be killed easily by hand, but got too many and of course, I do not like to have these bugs in my housemad)

So I browsed for a way to get rid of those gnats. Adults only live for a several days. If there is no more wet soil to place their eggs, then that's the end. So I put some sand on top of each pot. I also bought a yellow sticky trap.



Then also as another trap, I made a mixture of apple cider vinegar and baking soda. They will be attracted to a strong smell (or that's what I read).



I am on a mission to eradicate ALL the gnats now!!! I will do whatever takes...

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hi, Lothlorien! How's your mission going? Did these bugs get eradicated? Sure hope so!

I was amazed by your findings and the solutions you came up with to get rid of these bugs. You are such an inspiration to me, Lothlorien! When things go wrong, I tend to look around for help first, but you on the other hand, try to solve it yourself first. I definitely gotta learn your attitude :)

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

Tamakichi~, nooooo, I did not come up with the solution. I just did some research.
Of course, I look for help too if I know I cannot deal with it, such as cutting a fallen tree (which I got help from my co-worker the other day!). But I try not to depend on anyone. At least, I try to do it by myself first. My friend says to me, "you are TOO independent"...

Anyway I am still fighting with the bugs. The number of bugs was reduced dramatically! but I still see a few in a house. I just ordered this special liquid (some kind of bacteria is in it), which will eat up all the bugs' eggs which were left in the wet soil. I think that bacteria will work out... (I hope)