2007年12月19日

Latest technology is not always the greenest..

Christmas is around the corner and many are buying nice and pricey gifts this time of the year. One of things is a big screen TV, such as LCD and plasma. The price is dropping quickly; people tend to buy bigger and better TVs. But are those newer TVs are always better? From an energy-use standpoint, it's NOTsurprised

Actually those TVs will consume more electricity than small conventional television according to this article in Wall Street Journal last week.

If a conventional TV’s annual electricity bill is $30, it would be $130 for a big-screen plasma TV!!! More than 4 times!! By the time other devices are added (speaker, DVDs etc), a whole thing can go $200!!!

People are becoming aware of a global warming and many are trying to go green at home, but they tend to forget about it when it comes to shop for TVs…

I thought a newer technology would offer a better choice for the environment, unfortunately not for a TV yet. Wait for a couple years, then it will get better for suremrgreen

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hmmm, it made me think, Lothlorien! Thanks! I am definitely one of these people who forget to look at it from an environmental stand point if I were to buy me a new TV. When I moved to a new place and bought me appliances, I did make sure I'd buy me eco-friendly ones whenever I had the option, but you are right, I wouldn't have thought about TV being one of the appliances that also makes a difference in electricity consumption! I guess I don't look at TV as consuming much electricity (out of my ignorance). Your post made me realize once and again how important it is to be educated on these things!

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

This article made me think too! I never thought about the energy efficiency regarding TV or any appliances that I got when I moved in here. But I think I am going to next time!