2007年5月8日

To Go or Not To Go

There is a very popular, well-known middle eastern restaurant in Detroit area. Their food is excellent; many people love it; the restaurant was very successful.

The other day, one of my co-workers told me that she stopped going there since a report that the owner of the restaurant has some connection with one of terrorist groups and the owner might have been funding the group.

I heard something like that a while back but wasn’t sure what the truth was, so I checked.

I found that the restaurant was guilty of tax evasion, but no proof about the terrorism connection.

I understand what my co-worker was saying. She did not want to drop any money on someone who MIGHT BE funding terrorists.

I think there are lots of misconceptions for arabic people. They are regarded to be "bad people" because of their religions or the color of their skin. We cannot discriminate people according to their religions or appearances. But unfortunately, it is happening everywhere...

As for now, I will be still going to the restaurant. I feel sorry for other Arabic people who are innocent but receive unfair discrimination. If the rumor were true, then that's another story..

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I imagine your co-worker is probably feeling she has to risk her life if she was to trust the suspicious people, and I understand her logic. I also understand that America has experienced (and is experiencing) a strong sense of fear that altered so many aspects of American people's lives. But knowing all that, I still have to say, it is wrong to discriminate someone who MAY BE a terrorist. It is wrong to be a terrorist and harm many innocent people, but it is just as wrong to discriminate people for their nationalities, images, and so on. I pray that this vicious cycle of distrust and hatret will break soon.

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

Living in Detroit suburb is a little tricky on this issue. Because Dearborn, which is just the outside of Detroit, is the largest arabic community in this country. So I understand that people are more fearful around here, or at least, they believe that there are "bad people" for sure in this area. It may be logical to sabotage the local arab community; there may be bad people here, but we never know for sure till it's proved...