2007年5月10日

To Iraq

It seems like a war is in the farthest place from my world.
Even though I hear news about the war every day, those are happening overseas, even when local news reports the local soldiers being called upon to Iraq, it was not a big thing.

Then a couple days ago, I received a news that one of my colleagues is going to Iraq soon. He is not a soldier, but a volunteer mechanic in the Army Reserve. Even though he is just a volunteer, he still has to go. And this time, to Iraq.

When I heard the news first, I thought he was drafted (I don't know if "the draft" still exists in this country, but I bet in an extreme situation, maybe...). I thought this country was out of soldiers that they had to take even volunteers. That wasn't a case here. This is one of routine things. Every so often, his unit goes to overseas for support, no matter if there is a war or not. This time, the destination happened to be Iraq.

But still this is not a simple matter. He cannot tell anybody (even his family) where exactly he is going, or how many are going. All details are classified, which tells me the seriousness of this trip.

Suddenly the war came into my world and I felt I was pulled into a different reality...
It's been years since 9/11 but the war is still going on and people are dying over there.

Let's hope that it will be done soon for a sake of this country and a sake of people in Iraq...

0 コメント: