2007年2月23日

Starry Equation

As a mechanical engineer in analysis team,
I spend lots of time working on a computer simulation of our products.
It sounds boring and sometimes it is, but not the project that I'm working on now.

My boss recently gave me this project,
which requires to create a mathematical
model of this starry shape, meaning that xy
coordinates of each point must be calculated.

Everyone has seen this shape somewhere.
But who would think to find the equation of
this starry shape?

Since my college years were long time ago,
I needed to go back to the textbooks.

After spending some time, relearning Euler's formula,
finally I was able to get the equation of this shape,
Starry EquationI just made up this name :)

After all, if the shape has some patterns,
mathematical equations of the shape can be presented.
How neat!! So cool!!
(am I the only one who thinks so??)

When I was in school, I used to think "Do we really need to learn
this? We would never use this in real life!!"
I'm sure I felt that way a lot when I was learning calculus
or differential equations, or Euler's formula that I used this time.
My feeling was even stronger toward classes which were not
my interest, such as human science or social science classes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, because of my job,
I do use calculus or other advanced mathematics
here and there and I'm glad that it wasn't wasted.

And I wonder, would I feel glad that I learned
human science and social science someday?


ps. For anyone who is wondering about this Starry equation,
it can be presented using Euler's formula and sine curves

3 コメント:

robert d さんのコメント...

So why was it that one needed an equation for The Starry Shape? And I like you stand in awe of the wonders of mathematics, with all of its self contained logic. It has all been there for eternity just waiting for us to find it.

And now for the bete noir, some call it Lemma i, A (Ͱ - does not equal) A. It may seem counterintuitive but it is the only way to explain many findings in particle physics.

Enjoy and discover,

d

匿名 さんのコメント...

Yogini, I've always been interested in what you do at work so I got exited as I read this article. I must say it's all greek to me but I am so interested in what you study and what you do. Also, I'm very much impressed with the fact that there are people (like you) who can utilize these knowledges to come up with such equation.

I also felt "who'd use this anyways in real life?" when I was learning history and politics but I was soooo wrong. When you and I went to Morocco together, I so wished I learned world history and political government seriously or I wouldn't have pissed that guy twice for asking ignorant questions.

I know I sound overly exited every time I leave comments here, but I'm really exited to read all that you put here. These posts are all so interesting, Yogini!

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

well, we are developing a new product and by using this shape, it could reduce the rolling stiffness. I cannot say more than this because it should be confidential. (I wonder how much I could write about my work?)
I sounded that I learned more than necessary at school, but I also had some regrets that I did not study japanese history in depth. Being in US, many people ask about my country and I was not able to answer well... so we do have some regrets sometimes, but let's learn what we wanted to learn now!