2007年2月15日

Taking MIT courses for FREE?

You can be an MIT student and it costs NOTHING!!
Yes, finally, my dream can come true!!

OK, this is not an accurate statement. The truth is...

You can get class materials online free of charge! Yes, that's right!
It's called "OpenCourseWare", aka OCW.
Many schools and institutions, including MIT, Yale, and Notre Dame, are posting some courses free online, from syllabus, reading material lists, lecture notes, quizzes, tests, and even audio/video files of actual lectures.

It is like a "distance learning", except it’s free, but no actual credit, degree or certificate.

While I was in college, I did use the computer, but none of professors required us to use computers or even emails for classes (unless it was a computer related class). Everything was an old style; print-outs/hand-outs in classes. Nowadays, many professors use the website and emails extensively, so it’s no surprise that schools are officially posting their materials on their sites for public.

For myself, I did benefit from these online course materials recently. I needed to learn the FEM (finite element method) extensively for my work. I took an introduction course in college, but that was a long time ago, so for the purpose of refreshing my memories and learning new materials, I went online.

After browsing for a while, voila, I found not 1 but 3 FEM courses, from Univ. of Illinois, Univ. of California in San Diego, and Univ. of Colorado, which post pretty much everything, course materials, assignments/tests and its solutions. I was able to study those materials by myself, and I must say, it was much more useful than just buying some textbooks and study those!!

Although it’s quite useful, it’s still lacking something very important: the interactions between teachers and students. Since we are just looking at the computer screen and “observing” the courses, so when we have some questions, we cannot ask anybody (Technically we can email the professor and ask the questions, but they are not obligated to answer those). Besides that, at many times, the teaching in class won’t be “one-way” but “two-ways”. There is no doubt that we will learn much more by being in actual classrooms than watching lecture videos.

So that is why colleges/universities are putting those materials for free. They are sure that they will not lose the applicants just because all the materials are available online.

For general public who are not pursuing a degree, like me, this is a very welcoming change. I personally believe that any knowledge won’t be wasted. And having so many resources online for free is definitely a plus in my life!! It's so cool that I can get to see what MIT students are studying!

4 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Godness, Yogini! I've never heard of MIT and it sounds soooooo interesting! I agree with you that no knowledge will be wasted, and I too enjoy mental challenge. There are so many things I'd love to learn nonthless my finance is limited (lol) so things like MIT is like a dream come true for me, just like you put it at the top of this journal. It's great that you got to study what you needed to learn for your work on line for free :) I am so amazed by the way things are advancing each and everyday, Yogini! Did you have to enroll the class just like how we would for normal classes, or could you just observe a class as you wish? Are you taking any class right now? I typed in OCW in yahoo search and found out that there was a psych OCW (intro class). I'll search some more and would like to find out if there's any upper level psych OCW! Wow, that was a very interesting post, Yogini (...still shocked at what I just read...lol).

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

We don't register for OCW. Anyone can just take a look. Anytime! It's not like we are following each class with students. Only materials are available.
However not all schools use the name "OCW". MIT started this a several years ago. Other schools followed MIT but they may use other names, for example, Stanford calls it "Stanford on iTunes U"(http://itunes.stanford.edu/). Same for Berkeley.
MIT has many courses available, but mainly technical classes since it's "Technology" university. In case of psychology, probably other universities have better resources. If I find something, I will post it!

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

Here is the list of institutions which are participating OCW:
http://www.ocwconsortium.org/about/members.shtml

Again, such as Stanford or other institutions have same kind of open sources but not a part of OCW. So I guess we just need to keep looking! I realized that the ones I found was not a part of OCW after all...

匿名 さんのコメント...

Wow, great, Yogini! I bookmarked the site you sent me, and intend to surf as soon as I make time! Thank you so much once again!