2007年3月25日

It's About Being

When people practice yoga, we tend to focus on "doing a posture properly". At least I tend to be that way. Since my body is not flexible, I try my best to reach as far as possible and bend as much as possible.

This weekend in a class, Katherine told us this:
"It's not about doing, it's about being".

I didn't get a chance to ask her what it really meant, but this is what I think. At every posture, we are instructed to send our breath to various body parts, wherever we feel rigid or holding something, then release that 'something' from that body part with breathing out. Yoga practice is a repetition of this, releasing obstacles from a body little by little. Freeing ourselves completely. And that is how we want to 'BE'. That is why a yoga practice is not about doing but being. What a great lesson!! When I started a yoga several years ago, none of teachers taught a class that way. Now I really really enjoy it and cannot wait to go back!!

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I've said this before but I want to say this again. You've met a wonderful instructor who grabs your heart! I love reading about your yoga class and can't wait to read some more of what you learned! It's that time again for you to go back there, right? Hope you enjoy her class once and again this Saturday!

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

I am glad that you enjoy reading about my yoga class. It's really great! I went to her class this saturday too, and I got something else to write. I will find the time to write that later!