2007年3月4日

The World of Crawl Space

What a day..
I just did the pipe insulation in a crawl space!!
The copper pipes in a crawl space did not have a sufficient insulation, so I had TWO pipe bursts this winter.. yes TWO. not ONE. You think I'd learn after first pipe burst. I wasn't careful...

This is an entrance to the crawl space. It's only 2ft high.. literally you have to "crawl" in there!!

I spent a whole day for pipe insulation and partial crawl space insulation.

First, buying materials.
I went to 4 different hardware stores because I could not find what I was looking for. Then I had to go back while installing it because I miscalculated how much I needed.

Second, pipe insulation.
This was the most hardest work I ever did for my house. The job itself is not that difficult, but the space was so limited and I could not move around freely. I could not sit up either. I used two lights and it was still kind of dark (a bit scary). I am not claustrophobic, but that place could make me the one... (in photo, a black pipe is the finished insulation!)

Third, crawl space insulation.
I did not redo a whole insulation. I just added where it was missing. So this was not bad at all. Just the fiberglass material was very uncomfortable to work with...

So glad that I finished all today. Big relief... I'm hoping that the insulation I did was enough so I will not have any more bursts! I do not want to go back in there anytime soon!!!

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Yogini, I loved this post because it helped me imagine how it's like to "fix a house"! I tried to imagine how it's like before, but like I told you, I've never done that before and it was so hard for me to imagine you "fixing a house". With these pictures and detailed explanation, I could imagine how it's like... I hate to think that you had to do it though! Did you have any help along the way? If I lived in Michigan, I'd surely came over to your place with two more flashlights and lit your way, man...it sucks to live so far from each other sometimes... Hope no more burst for you this winter...

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

I know. I think it is very difficult to imagine how it is like. If I were not a home owner, I'd have no idea. There are soooo many things I learned since then. There are still alot things to do around the house (and I have a long TO DO list), so for each time, I will take photos and will post it on this blog as much as possible!