2008年1月24日

The Lie of an Environmental Problem

I've just started reading this Japanese book called "The Lie of an Environmental Problem" and it's has been an emotional ride. So hard not to get emotional while reading because the theme of this book is to show people how recycling is wasteful. In the first chapter, the author claims that the waste increased tremendously because we started recycling, also recycling program is using more energy and raw material and our tax money.

To be honest, I never thought of the cost of recycling. I do not know the truth about the recycling. I keep doing it because I believed that it saves energy/resource and also environment.

I did a quick research online and this dispute has been around since a decade ago. I still need to do more research to educate myself regarding recycling, but as far as I found, many nations concluded that recycling would cost less than disposal. One example is the city of New York. NYC actually eliminated their recycling program (plastic/glass) in 2002 because their recycling program was costing money to the city. After the program was eliminated, a private out-of-state landfills raised prices due to the increased workload of disposing, as a result, glass and plastic recycling program became viable and the city reinstated the program.

I do not like reading this book, but I should read to judge what the author wrote is correct or not. I still believe that the recycling is necessary, but at this moment, I got nothing to prove this...star

0 コメント: