2008年1月3日

Starting Up Early..

My company just added a new work time shift. Previously the earliest employees can work was 8am (officially), now it's 7:30am. And many of us are taking the advantage of this new time shift and start coming in at 7:30am. But I should point out that those many of us are all Americans. They love to come in early; the earlier the better. So they can go home early and there will be still plenty of time to do things after work. They can work on a house; they can play with kids; they can go out etc.

I am guessing that none of Japanese workers are going to come in at 7:30. Not that they are lazy, but I don't think they feel it is an advantage to them at all. For most of Japanese employees, "work" is their top priority. So they do not plan to do anything after work. They just go home and that's it. As long as they have enough time to rest well for the next day, they are fine. For Americans, "work" is not their top priority but their personal life is. So goind home early and spend time with family is worth waking up early in the morning.

In my case, I am not changing my shift.smile I am not even coming in at 8 but 8:30. And it works just perfectly. Because I need a quiet moment in the morning (meditation). I also need to eat breakfast. I do not want to just get up early and rush to the office.

All in all, it is good to have more options. Some people want to come in early; some (like me) want to come in late mrgreen

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

My work starts from 7:30 and although it's such a pain to wake up early, I still love my work shift. When I get off from work at 4:30pm, it's still bright outside and it doesn't kill my passion to go out or to go do something I want to do :) Your morning sounds very nice. You wake up early, meditate, and eat breakfast, and come to work all "ready", both physically and mentally. Me, well, one of my resolution for this year would be to make my morning bit more organized by waking up earlier (and sleeping earlier), lol.

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

wow, you are starting at 7:30!! I guess I can change to 7:30 work shift, then I have to get up at 5:30, which I don't think I'd like that.
But I understand that it feels good when it's still bright outside when got off work! Summer is like that here. It's bright outside till 10pm, so then, I tend to do things, like running for errands...