2007年7月23日

Friendship

I received a phone call from a friend of mine, whom I have not talked for many months. While we were catching up, he told me he cut out our mutual friend from his life for good. I was surprisedsurprised. There seemed to be a great friendship between them, but apparently there wasn't. From a conversation, I found out that he was trying his best to be a great friend with the other person, and it looked perfect from the outside, but there was no real connection from a very beginning.

I felt uneasy a bit at firstconfused. Here, I am a friend with both persons, but those two are not friends any longer. I was in the exact same situation before. I had other two friends who ended their friendship. It got nothing to do with me, so I kept being friends with both. But after all, I ended up losing one of them... how it happened did not relate to the breakup of their friendship at all. But around that time, one of them told me that if I kept being friend with the other, we may not continue being friends. It's like I was evaluated by friends that I chose. I was stunned at a time. And it got me thinking about friendships and friends that I choose.

People say don't judge a person by their parents. Because we cannot choose our parents. However, we are in a position to choose our friends. Maybe there is some truth in what my friend said. We shape our values and personalities by things and friends we surround ourselves. Regarding my friendships, I do not want to evaluate my friends by how they choose friends. I'd like to see a whole person with my eyes, no matter what kind of friends they have.

I'm not sure what is going to happen later. I heard both sides of the stories and I decided not to do anything about it. There is nothing to be fixed. They are done with each other and moving on. If either of them has a problem that I am still being friend with both, then it's their problem and not mine (this sounds so cold!, but it's true..mrgreen)

After all, a life is a journey. Things happen unexpectedly. And I would like to accept the reality as it is, not fighting with it. We always lose when we fight with a reality...heart

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I agree with your last paragraph so very much. Truth hurts often times, but fighting with it hurts us even more. We should embrace things as they are and keep on moving on...life is still beautiful including all the hardships in it, right?

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

Yes, we should embrace our reality and like you said, sometimes it hurts!
We never learn anything if we did not have any hardships in our lives. So let's appreciate all the experience that you have to go through... or let's hope that you gain the courage and the strength each time that happens!