2007年6月16日

Community Supported Agriculture

CSA, community supported agriculture, started actually in Japan. How it works is that people buy a share from a local farm, meaning paying a certain money for a whole season (spring~fall), then they get vegetable/fruits from a farm. How much they get is totally dependent on how well the crops grow each year. But this is a great way to support the local farmers. Most of them are organic farms.

I started buying a share at the Community Farm of Ann Arbor. One of my friend used to be a helper there, so that's how I know of this particular farm. This one is probably the best in the area because not only this farm is organic, but also they practice the biodynamic farming, which I am not very familiar with, but it's supposed to be better for the earth.

I love visiting the farm every Saturday. The air is different there! Surrounded by crops, animals, trees... it's awesome!

So today was the first distribution for us and I got plenty of veggies :)

Here are some photos taken at the farm:
They have chicken, goats, and cows. Besides veggies, I got their eggs too!




The farmers Paul&Annie, working very hard..


Bees. They make delicious honey.


Many many wild flowers, plants.. this is dandelion-like plant. don't know what this is. but this is a palm size bowl of seeds!

2 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I love reading your blog, Lothlorien! Full of different topics :) I've never heard of CSA, but that's a wonderful system, and biodynamic farming sounds even better. Are they also attentive to soil condition and surrounding environment when farming, and that type of thing...? I should look into these healthier food once all my schooling is over. I bet you were exited to receive the first share of veggies and eggs! These pictures are wonderful, thanks for sharing. I miss having farms near my house (KY life was like that, my host mom and I'd just go to the field near the house and pick veggies to eat for the night, etc). Wow...palm size...is it maybe dandelion?...just like how American cucumber is a lot bigger than Japanese one...?

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy reading this blog! I don't know how to explain what Biodinamic farming is. Here is some excerpt:

"A biodynamic farm works exactly the same as an organic farm in using no pesticides, herbicides etc; but there are various agricultural methods which are unique to biodynamic farming. These include field and compost preparations and a usage of astrological calendar to determine times of planting and harvesting."

There are more to it. Keeping animals at the farm is the one (even though we don't get anything from them, except eggs, there are somehow part of this biodynamic farming).

Anyway, their veggies are the best! Seriously! I just love being a member at this particular farm.

Sounds wonderful that you used to pick veggies with your host mother in KY. I'm sure you miss that.. If you visit MI during June-Oct, you can go to the farm with me!