2007年6月25日

Why I am a vegetarian

Some people have asked me why I am a vegetarian (actually semi-vegetarian), and I was not able to answer clearly before. Yes, it's a religious reason, but why my religion forbids us to eat meats (particularly beef and pork)?

The fellow devotees of my religious group had a same question and had an interesting discussion about it online. They showed the reason clearly (not only religious purpose but also a health issue). Some people may not agree with these reasons, but I was again convinced by them. So here are reasons why I am a vegetarian (not all are in my words).

1. Ahimsa (Non-harming, Non-injury)
Animals are beings too, so why do I want to cause harm to them? If I eat an animal, then I am causing their pain and death.

2. "Fear" chemicals
When animals are killed to eat, they die in fear. If you have ever been to a slaughter house, it is not pretty. Because emotions (fear) are chemicals they permeate the body of the dead animal. When we eat them, we ingest the fear. Fear begin the opposite of love, it is just more stuff to eliminate from our consciousness.
Which animals to kill or not to kill is still debatable. It's impossible not to kill any creatures. Without noticing, we are killing many "small" creatures, like ants or bugs. Occasionally I still eat fish. I was told that fish is not much aware (conscious) when being killed, opposed to cow/pig/chicken. I have to think about this issue deeper...

3. Foods vibrations affect the mental state
Every food has certain qualities attached to it. It has vibrations attached to it that affect the mental state of a particular man eating the food. Broadly they can be classified as

・Sattvic (consists of vegetables, fruits etc. - the best for spiritual development)
・Rajasic (like fried and spicy foods)
・Tamasic (alcohols, meat etc.)

So what you eat directly affects your mental evolution and way you think. If you eat Sattvic food you will be calm and have greater control over mind as opposed to Tamasic which leads to the mind getting agitated easily.

4. Digestion issue
Fresh fruits and vegetables can be fully digested and out of the system in 4 to 12 hours. However when meat is ingested, it is not digested. Meat has to rot once eaten, and it will take 4 to 7 days to make it out of your body. It's like different vehicles on the highway. Fruits are the fastest travelers, with meats driving like an over-sized load in the right lane. (from Oprah's show)

5. Vegetarian diet fits me
Each person's metabolism is different, and there is no one diet that is right for everyone. Some people need meat to be healthy. Others are healthier without meat. I am definitely healthier and happier without meats :)

6 コメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

あ、私もよく聞かれてた。
最近はあまり聞かれないけれど…

でも、結局あってるんだよね。

ここに挙げてある理由全てに納得!賛成!だけれど、私はある日突然「もういいや」と思って止めたので、本当に単純に体の声を聞いただけみたい。後から納得する理由にたくさんであったけれどね~。

結局「頂きます」の心だよね。

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

そうそう、結局は自分に合うか合わないか、にたどり着くのかと思います。私の場合は突然辞めたのではなく、アメリカに来てから何となく。後は周りの影響もいろいろあって。

「体の声を聞く」って、やっぱり一番大事ですよね!

匿名 さんのコメント...

すみません。最初のコメント無記名になってたじゃん! 失礼しました…其れなのにちゃんとコメント返ししてくれて有り難う~。
肉食をしないことが体に合わない人も居るんだよね、だからどっちが絶対とかではなく。
私はいわゆる菜食的食材、豆とか穀物とか大好き。だから本当に合ってるんだと思うわ~

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

やっぱりイノーバさんだったのね。そうだと思っていました。
私も豆類、大好き!特に大豆。納豆が大好物です。そして豆腐も。いくら食べても飽きないです!

匿名 さんのコメント...

Interesting. I could guess 1 and 5, but I had no idea of the rest. #4 especially shocked me! Meat takes 4 to 7 days to be digested out of the body as opposed to fruits' 4 to 12 hours?! Huge difference...!

Lothlorien(ローリエン) さんのコメント...

I understand that you had no idea what I was saying in #2&3. Those are the ones that I learned from Hinduism. Very different belief, I know. But "vibration" concept is not only recognized by Hinduism. Christianity also talks about "vibration" in the bible (John).

"Fear factor" is also related to karma, so maybe that's why buddhists are vegetarian... (maybe, not sure though)